18.4.14

Autumn at Hallasan

The journey for this work was as convoluted as the actual climb at Hallasan that I undertook last September, all 5603 feet up Korea's highest mountain, just hoping to catch a glimpse of autumn even though Jeju was unexpectedly as hot as Singa-land during my stay there.  Well, that is "Singaporean madness" for you as we come from a land of eternal green.  

It was a small peek at fall, literally. Some fallen red leaves on a small patch of the forever rocky path.  But I was delirious nevertheless.  Even more so than when I was to later reach the summit.  


So I painted autumn again which I haven't in a long while.  While the composition came easily enough, I struggled with the colour of the ground for a while before I finally got the feel that I wanted, intentionally stark contrast and all. Lyrical yet brittle. Yup, that pretty much sums it up. 

Title: Autumn at Hallasan 汉拿山之秋 (O99)
Description: A lyrical fall painting of autumn leaves on a rocky path inspired by the artist's hike way up Mt Hallasan, Korea's highest mountain, just to catch that wee bit of fall. Jeju Notes 2014.
Medium: Oil on Ready-to-Hang Canvas.
Dimensions: 61 x 61cm.

SOLD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment