24.9.11

The Chef

It has been a long time since I painted a portrait. I am seldom tempted as the face has to have a lot of character for me to be inspired. But when I stepped into this quaint little tapas pub on my Spain Camino trip, the traditional character of the place immediately struck me, and even more so when I caught sight of the fiesty chef-cum-owner in a whirl of activity entirely in his element.. I knew I would paint him.

But first I had to get his picture executing his fine art.  It was no easy feat as he was aware and the movement simply heightened to a blur. I could only muster a couple of quick shots aimed at the overall pub setting so as not to be rude and hoped for the best.  Blessed was I to get one clear shot below of the dignified master in action, which incidentally my guide has sent the picture to him.

When it came to painting, my expressionist tendencies and colour instincts took over but the essence of the character - a fine artisan in his element - must come through. In fact an artist remarked that the pose reminded him of a portrait of a certain young Rembrandt.  Yes, indeed.  No wonder I was attracted to this interesting character; he had reminded me of a master artist.. and my own vocation :)


Title: The Chef (O67)
Description: Spain Camino series. Expressive rendition of a tapas chef in his element, in a cool tapas pub as full of character as its animated owner. Tis a memorable encounter in old Leon on the artist's sojourn on the Camino de Santiago (Way of St James) pilgrim route. 2011.
Medium: Oil on Ready-to-Hang Canvas.
Dimensions: 76 x 60cm.


 2 comments: 
su f tan said... 
Love the style of this painting! 
doreen said.. 
your style has become more free, great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment