15.12.13

Jeju Boats

Before visiting Jeju, I knew Korea is a colourful nation, "well-educated" was I from all the K-drama ;p  Especially the period ones.  I have always admired the creative use of bright blues, reds, greens, purples, in the lush costumes, contrasting, striking yet not clashing.  

So it was when I arrived in Seogwipo, the southern port city of Jeju, one of the things that delighted me most - apart from discovering the Jeju Olle Trails which gave me plenty of hiking opportunities in my 10-day stay - are the colourful boats at the port.  They are straight from the K-dramas, hues-wise, especially the bright blues.  And there is a quaint whimsical charm in the chaotic clutter of little windows, chimneys, endless lines, rows and rows of light bulbs.. somehow reminding me of a Jap cartoon. I simply adore them!

And of all my amblings around the island, I love the fishing boats on the southern coast most, especially these striking blue ones at the little port of one Beophwan Village, which I stumbled upon while trekking the Jeju Olle Trail No. 7.  I was so engrossed taking photos of these boats that I did not notice that people are bathing at a nearby spot.. Oops.. but that is another bloopers story ;p  Anyway, more than any image in Jeju, I knew I would paint this scene.

So that is the story behind this boats painting. And the start of hopefully, a series to commemorate my much treasured memories of this unforgettable island. 


Title: Jeju Boats 济州船 (O91)
Description: A colourful impressionist painting of delightful cluttering fishing boats at Beophwan Village, the southernmost coastal village in Korea on the Jeju Olle Trail No. 7. Jeju Notes 2013.
Medium: Oil on Ready-to-Hang Canvas.
Dimensions: 76 x 76cm.

Purchase at: yen.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment