8.2.12

Jello & Yolk

Was I thinking of food when I painted these two? Maybe.. unconsciously ;p  The idiosyncratic names seem to stick whenever I look at them.

Together, the works depict the quaint stone buildings in the little village of Ainsa, capital of the medieval Sobarbe Kingdom, at once mystical and drawing in its aura yet strangely familiar oriental to the asian in me.  Maybe it was the mix of influence of the Celts, Romans, Muslims, and Christians, who in turn left their mark here.  I almost thought the Chinese were here as well.  And the Chinese phrase 古色古香 (literally, antiquity colours and smells) came oft to me as we explored the Spanish medieval town, unlike any other I've seen before.  
And come sun down, the spectacular drama of the village lit in orange by the unfolding pink skies was simply unworldly.  Just like the unworldly sanctuary that is Ainsa.

Title: Jello (O72)
Description: The medieval buildings in Ainsa, once Sobarbe Kingdom, each seems to tell a different story, western yet familiar oriental, and evokes deep affection in me like this one. Much like an old friend, hence the name. Spain Vignettes 2011.
Medium:
Oil on Ready-to-Hang Canvas.
Dimensions: 76 x 61cm.

SOLD.

Title: Yolk (O73)
Description: At once meditative and brimming with emotions and outworldly possibilities, the enigmatic medieval kingdom of Ainsa beckons under its dramatic dusk skies. Spain Vignettes 2011.
Medium:
Oil on Ready-to-Hang Canvas.
Dimensions: 76 x 61cm.

SOLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment