4.10.09

Sketch Delight


I wanted to do something relaxing for a change. And I'm happiest doing sketches. So when a friend remarked that she likes a mini-acrylic sketch I did last year as a learning piece from an art book which she described as warm and cheerful, I decided to do a full-size sketch work. And I really mean sketch as an end-product.

The art book in question was by Joyce Pike and the reference was a still-life picture of antique-ish objects and warm flowers. At the time I did the mini-sketch, I liked the raw strokes and colours of the sketch stage so much I stopped there. I don't even remember the details of the original reference pic anymore. It doesn't matter as my intention is to create a bright and cheery piece looking like a sketch with my newly-bought big brush that I was so excited to try. And I had great fun doing this.

In the end, I am quite pleased with the result as it makes me smile when I look at it. I may develop a delight series out of this.. Some folks, not knowing what to make of it, enquired (politely) if this was an abstract piece ;p Well, semi-abstract it'd be then. After all, that's the point about sketches and what I love about them - unclear yet full of potential and possibilities so I will leave the viewer to his or her own imagination.



Title: Sketch Delight (O23)
Description: Riotous fun with orange and all sorts of colours for this semi-abstract piece of vases of flowers on a table. 2009.
Medium:
Oil on Ready-to-Hang Canvas.
Dimensions: 60 x 45cm
.

Purchase at: yen.artfire.com

2 comments:
tina said...
i like this... very diff from those we have seen @ the exhibition.
karen said...
My dad absolutely loves the mini work, Sketch Delight, that I bought him for Christmas! :) We agree its strong points are the vivid colour play and animated brush strokes. The level of abstraction is just perfect... it's detailed enough for us to identify the subject but still leaves room for individual interpretation. Keep up the fantastic work, we look forward to seeing (and supporting) more of your art! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment