1.6.09

Watercolour Hiatus

My main medium is oil which I use in the studio, or acrylic when I paint outdoors. Occasionally I'm enticed to dabble in other media for the fun of it or when I'm having a block with the canvas. So it was that I was having a particularly long block that I decided to have a go at watercolour which I've been told is the most difficult medium of all. In fact, several of the experienced folks at my art class started with watercolour and are now firmly attached to the canvas ;p Too much heartbreak, they say.

So it was with great trepidation that I started on watercolour.. and learned first-hand all the things that I had been warned.. tremble, tremble, joking.. I'm no watercolourist but it had been a fun experiment. I learned the essentialness of thinking and planning everything ahead, the importance of decisiveness in colour, stroke, and amount of water in the brush, and of course, the criticalness of delivery where a single mistake will cost the whole piece - and somehow it almost always does.. sigh.. that's why I say I'm not a colourist. Too much heartbreak, indeed ;p

But I do find that the watercolour experience helps when I reverted back to oil and found fresh perspectives. When I travel on my own, it has become a habit to bring my little watercolour pad because it's the easiest medium to bring, in case I do find the opportunity to paint. So here are some of my "experiments", for good or for bad.












Title: Sunrise At Halong Bay (W4)
Description: Impressions of Halong Bay, Vietnam. 2007.
Medium: Watercolour Work.
Dimensions: 30 x 23cm.
Price: SOLD.

Title: Trees At Overland Track (W5)
Description: Eucalyptus trees at Overland Track, Tasmania. 2007.
Medium:
Watercolour Work.
Dimensions: 30 x 23cm.
Price: SOLD.










Title: Iona Abbey (W6)
Description: Inspired by the beautiful columns of an ancient abbey at Iona Island in the Scottish Hebrides. 2007.

Medium: Ink & Watercolour Work.
Dimensions: 24 x 18cm.
Price: NFS.

Title: Iona Ruins (W7)
Description: Ancient ruins at Iona Island in the Scottish Hebrides. 2007.
Medium: Ink & Watercolour Work.
Dimensions: 24 x 18cm.
Price: SOLD.


1 comment (Halong Bay):
karen said...
... gorgeous... pretty impressive, in my view.

1 comment (Overland Track):
beibei said...
Somehow i like this


No comments:

Post a Comment